Friday, January 22, 2010

A confession



Sorry world, I know it's been ages. But I am just going to have to take a break for a little while. I have been teaching year seven /7th grade for the last month or so at an unspeakably grim school in the D.C. area. It's not been a happy time for me. I have been transferred from that school, and will be teaching year nine/9th grade at a (hopefully, much less miserable) different school in the same area. Some of the students I've encountered have been as sweet and intelligent and motivated as I could hope; some have been withdrawn and uninspired in a way that makes me think their life outside school is pretty shit; and some have been a giant pain in the arse. But all of them had the potential to be engaged in school in way that their regular teacher and administration are just not encouraging. It was so sad. I suspect that it would skate too close to what is googleable information if I went into specifics, so just trust me when I say that this was the public school that would make me send my child to private school. And gentle reader, you know how I am about public schools.

So, while I'm out of that place and into a new school, I need to take a break from (not) blogging.

Love you! I'll be back as soon as I can.

1 comment:

  1. This requires more discussion... take your break, but know that I was so happy to see you here again.

    ReplyDelete