Monday, March 26, 2012

8. Me of the Never Never by Fiona O'Loughlin

Apparently my thing is comedy memoirs by women. Easily the best part of this book was the description of her childhood in Warooka, SA. It sounded fascinating and almost romantic to have a small town filled with siblings and cousins and neighbours' kids all tearing around with little supervision, but she said realistically, it was stifling and boring and the most exciting thing was the very occasional visitor.

Yes, she grew up to be an alcoholic, but that was dealt with so summarily in the final chapter that it might as well have not been part of the book. I want drunkenness right throughout your story! Entertain me with your misery!

Took me about three sleepy nights to read. On to more challenging stuff, I hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment