Friday, April 13, 2012

10. Girl Walks Into A Bar by Rachel Dratch


Girl Walks Into a Bar is the book length answer to the questions ‘Why aren’t you on 30 Rock anymore?’ And ‘Aren’t you a bit old to have a baby’? It reads like Rachel Dratch wrote it one weekend. It reads like the first draft of Bossypants. As the bigger star, Tina Fey would have had access to better editing and marketing, but this book is really crappy. Also, Bossypants has the advantage of being the book length answer to the questions ‘OMG how did you come up with 30 Rock? I love that show!’ And ‘OMG your baby is so cute, are you going to have another one??’

I can’t believe that Rachel Dratch believes in stupid shit like The Secret, or ‘visioning’ or psychics. I wish I didn’t know. I can’t believe she was 44 when she had her baby. I guess I really don’t care. Her boyfriend sounds fine, and bit yuck. I can’t believe she lives in a one bedroom apartment. But I am going to look on YouTube for the clip of it being made over into a shared nursery by Nate Berkus. I really can’t believe that she would censor the work fuck, to look like ‘f**k’ in her own book. That just puts so must distance between the book and the reader, and makes her sound ridiculously prudish, and also slightly desperate to please her sort of yuck boyfriend, who she reveals doesn’t like ladies swearing.

This is going to signal the end of memoirville for a while. Rachel, you broke me.

No comments:

Post a Comment