Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Clap your hands if you believe in Google



Have I mentioned recently that Google is fucking amazing? Little fragments of miscellanea that have been in my mind for years can be traced to their source in seconds, with only the crudest of prompts. I saw a performance of this monologue from the play 'Dentity Crisis by Christopher Durang probably in 1994. While I didn't know that name of the play, the performer, or the playwright, in 1997 I tried to locate the piece so I could use it for my monologue drama performance in the HSC. I couldn't find it and dropped drama as an HSC subject. It's been vaguely swirling in my head since then, and tonight resurfaced while I was at the computer. I swear I Googled only the words monologue clap hands and there it was (fourth hit).

In 2006 there was an episode of Six Feet Under that featured some Buddhist chanting that I really wanted to hear again. I must have spent 20 hours that year Googling and checking the show's credits and emailing the Buddhist temple the producers thanked in those credits, to no end. A couple of weeks again I typed Six Feet Under Buddhist chanting into Google and there it was on YouTube, embedded in the results. In the comments under the clip, I found the source material was Ritual Chanting by Nine Monks Chanting, which I subsequently bought off Amazon and had delivered to my door.

This world is awesome (for me and other privileged peeps).

No comments:

Post a Comment